Geographic Information Systems (GIS)
Public Access GIS
The City offers six GIS-based public access websites:
- Play Danville Park Finder App - Find all of Danville’s parks, playgrounds, baseball/soccer fields, disc golf courses, trails, and more! Use the measure tool to plan a nice 2-mile walk along the trails, use the drawing tools to show your friends where to meet up! Bookmark your favorite places, and use the Base Map Gallery to view the map in new and different ways……..go out and play, Danville!
- Danville Scheduled Road Closure Map -
Identifyscheduled road closures by the City of Danville using this interactive map. Search by address to discover scheduled projects in your area.
- Discover Danville Sites - Investigate Danville's available development properties and buildings, run a business
search,and analyze market demographics.
- Danville Parcel Viewer - Search our property database for parcel assessment information and transfer history. View multiple years of aerial photography.
- Danville myCommunity Map - Easily find restaurants, shopping, parks, schools, services, and amenities. Try the "I Want To" feature to learn about Danville.
- Danville Community Crime Map - Explore Danville crime using this interactive map. Search by address to discover crime trends and locations in your area.
Danville Story Maps
- The River District Story Map - Danville is beautifying its riverfront area...come visit the Danville River District!
- Riverwalk Story Map - Nine miles of paved trail along the beautiful Dan River connects the historic River District, Anglers Park, Dan Daniel Park, and local businesses while traversing through many wonderfully scenic areas.
- Danville Art Trail - The Danville Art Trail (DAT) is an 18-month exhibit of outdoor sculptures in public places, combined with murals, Victorian architecture, and points of interest.
- Historic Marker Tour - A tour of the Historic Markers in Danville, Va.
All requests for printed or digital GIS information require submission of a form and City approval. Completed forms should be emailed to GIS Support or faxed to the attention of the GIS Coordinator at 434-797-4592. Fees are charged at the City's discretion per the fee schedule. Return all applicable forms, as follows:
Custom maps are available in printed or PDF form. There may be a charge for printed material, especially of large size or quantity.
- GIS Map Request Form (fill out and return)
Digital GIS data is available for free to consultants under contract with the City of Danville and select public entities. Other businesses, organizations, and individuals will be charged according to our fee schedule. All requestors must submit both of the following documents for approval by the City's IT Director.
- GIS Data Request Form (fill out and return)
- GIS Letter of Agreement (change all occurrences of "Requestor" and "Company Name", sign, and return)
For more information about what GIS is and how it is used, visit any of the following sites:
- What is GIS? - "GIS allows us to view, understand, question, interpret, and visualize data in many ways that reveal relationships, patterns, and trends in the form of maps, globes, reports, and charts." Read more about the technology and uses of GIS ...
- International GIS Day - "GIS Day is held each year in the third week of November, on the Wednesday during Geography Awareness Week, a geographic literacy initiative sponsored by the National Geographic Society". Each year in partnership with the Danville Science Center, the City of Danville participates in International GIS Day.