City Council will meet Thursday, Nov. 9, in a business session at 7 p.m., followed by a work session. Both sessions are open to the public.
The business session will be held in the Council Chambers on the fourth floor of the Municipal Building, which is located at 427 Patton St.
The work session will be held on the same floor, but across the hall in the Council Conference Room. In work sessions, Council reviews non-routine matters that will be voted upon in future business meetings.
City Council, which regularly meets the first and third Tuesdays of each month, moved its meeting to Thursday to avoid conflicting with Election Day, during which Virginia voters this year made their choices for governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general and delegates to the state House.
During the business session, City Council is scheduled to vote on a series of resolutions requesting the Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) allow unspent money previously allocated to Danville to be used for three projects.
The projects are as follows:
- Street and sidewalk improvements on North Union Street.
- Realignment of a curve on Airport Drive near the Danville Regional Airport terminal.
- Extension of the Airport Drive Trail from Danville Regional Airport to U.S. 58.
The resolutions were developed after VDOT identified approximately $1.5 million in unspent previously allocated to other Danville projects. The Commonwealth Transportation Board will act on the resolutions at its December meeting.
City Council also is scheduled to vote on several other matters Thursday night:
In addition to these votes, City Council will hold a first reading on an ordinance that would authorize issuance of general obligation bonds in the maximum principal amount allowed without a referendum.
A first reading is an introductory step required by City code before certain matters can be voted upon by City Council. This step serves to provide public notice of pending action. Council cannot vote on the ordinance Thursday. The earliest vote that can take place will be the Nov. 21 City Council meeting.
During the work session, City Council will discuss the following matters:
- a lease agreement for fixed base operator services with General Aviation.
- use of eminent domain for acquisition of right of way and easements on Mount Cross Road.
- a resolution endorsing the continuation of the Dan River trail system.
- allowing the Industrial Development Authority to act as conduit for refunding bonds by Averett University.
River City TV, the city’s government access channel, will air the business session. Watch it live on cable (Comcast channel 10 and Gamewood channel 122) or streaming on the River City TV Facebook page.
River City TV does not air work sessions, but they are open to the public.