City Council will meet Tuesday, April 3, in a business session and two work sessions. All three sessions are open to the public.
Council's meeting will begin with a special work session at 5:30 p.m. to hear a presentation from City Manager Ken Larking on his proposed budget for the next fiscal year, which begins July 1. City Council will hold work sessions over the following weeks to review the proposed budget. Public hearings will be scheduled at a later date.
The business session will begin at 7 p.m. and will be held in the Council Chambers on the fourth floor of the Municipal Building, which is located at 427 Patton St.
The second work session will follow the business session. Work sessions are held on the same floor as the business session, but across the hall in the Council Conference Room. In work sessions, Council reviews non-routine matters that will be voted upon in future business meetings.
During the business session, City Council is scheduled to vote on a resolution requesting the Virginia Department of Transportation to rename a portion of the U.S. 58/29 bypass as the “Wendell O. Scott Sr. Memorial Highway.”
Scott is a Danville native and NASCAR Hall of Fame driver.
City Council also is scheduled to vote on several other matters Tuesday night:
- transfer of 324 Bradley Road to the Danville Redevelopment and Housing Authority. On Nov. 21, the City of Danville came into possession of the property, which was subject to a mortgage secured by the City, upon the default of the owner. Virginia law authorizes localities to transfer surplus property to non-profit organizations. A public hearing will precede the vote.
- a request by Garrett Shifflett on behalf of Lynn Street LLC for special use permits at 523 Lynn St. and 525 Lynn St. to allow residential uses in a structure with non-residential use on the first floor. Separate votes will be held. A public hearing will precede the vote.
- a budget amendment to provide for receipt and appropriation of a grant in the amount of $55,220 from the Danville-Pittsylvania Community Services board for use by the Parks and Recreation Department to conduct a recreation enrichment program and expanded summer program.
- a budget amendment to provide for receipt and appropriation of a grant in the amount of $38,289 from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management for use by the Danville Fire Department’s technical rescue team.
- a budget amendment to provide for receipt and appropriation of a grant in the amount of $78,000 from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management for use by the Danville Fire Department’s hazardous materials response team.
During the second work session, City Council will discuss purchase of the apartment building at 205 Jefferson Ave., a community garden license with Right Touch Ministry, and a city code change related to the name change for the Danville Public Library.
In addition, City Council will hear a presentation on recommendations of the mayor’s committee on entrance signs, and it will hold a closed meeting during the work session as allowed by state law for consultation with legal counsel, discussion of acquisition or disposition of real property, and discussion of a prospective business or industry related to economic development.
River City TV, the city’s government access channel, will air the business session. Watch it live on cable (Comcast channel 10 and Gamewood channel 122) or streaming on the River City TV Facebook page.
River City TV does not air work sessions, but they are open to the public.