24 Hour Emergency
Water and Gas Number
Ph: (434) 799-5284
Planning a home improvement job? Planting a tree? Installing a fence or deck? Call before you dig!
Natural Gas Safety in the Home
If you suspect a gas leak in or around your home, report it immediately to Danville Utilities at (434) 799-5284
. Keep people clear of the area and ensure there is no risk of ignition (for instance, someone smoking or using a mobile telephone or electrical appliance in the near vicinity).
If you smell gas inside your home:
- Extinguish all flames and pilot lights.
- Open doors and windows for ventilation.
- Do not operate electrical equipment or use a naked flame or other ignition source, including light switches, cell phones, pagers, or cigarettes in the area of the suspected leak.
- Evacuate everyone from the house and wait for the City's authorized Utility Department service person to arrive and evaluate the situation.
- Pilot lights and main burners should produce a blue flame. Call the manufacturer or a qualified gas fitter if the flame is yellow or red.
- Have all gas appliances serviced according to manufacturers instructions.
- Always take care around gas appliances – do not leave papers, rags, paint or other flammable material near them.
- Do not spray aerosols near operating gas appliances. The flammable gas in aerosols can be a fire hazard.
- Bottled LP Gas and natural gas are different. Operating an appliance on the wrong type of gas can be hazardous.
- Never tamper with safety valves or other fittings and do not use excessive force to open or close gas control knobs.
- Only use gas appliances for their intended purpose. Never use an oven to heat a room or as a clothes dryer.
- Always supervise young children near heaters or any gas appliance.
- Never use any outdoor gas appliances indoors.
- Ensure gas installations, including gas meters and pressure regulators are maintained in a safe condition and protected from damage or interference.