If you are receiving monetary compensation for products sold or services rendered, you will need a Danville City Business License.
The following criteria that apply to your business must be met before you apply for a City of Danville business license.
- All businesses located in the city of Danville must have zoning approval for the business location from the Planning Division, located at 427 Patton Street, room 207, phone 434-799-5260.
- All businesses (except for corporations that are currently registered with the State of Virginia) must register the business name with the VA State Corporation Commission 1-866-722-2551
- All businesses dealing with food (restaurants, food trucks/mobile vendors, grocery, and convenience stores) must have a health permit from the local Virginia State Health Department, phone 434-799-5190. Any business serving prepared food and beverages must sign up for Meals Tax at the Commissioner of the Revenue Office located at the Charles Harris Financial Building, 311 Memorial Drive, phone 434-799-5145. "Food truck vendors please see this document for more information." In addition all food trucks must also be inspected by the City of Danville Fire Department. Please contact Shelby Irving at 434-799-5226 for food truck inspections.
- All businesses dealing with alcoholic beverages must have an ABC permit from the ABC Board (800) 552-3200.
- All businesses selling retail must register with the Virginia Department of Taxation, phone 804-367-8037.
- All contracting businesses with individual job costs of $1,001 or more must also have a Virginia State Contractors License and be bonded for $5,000 (Class A State License does not need the $5,000 bond). A Virginia State Contractors License can be obtained from the Department of Professional and Occupational Regulation, phone 804-367-8511.
- In addition all contracting businesses with three or more employees must have worker’s compensation insurance. Contractors with two employees or less do not have to have worker’s compensation insurance but are required to fill out a rejection of coverage form. Contractors please view a PDF packet with more detailed information and forms. For any questions about worker’s compensation please visit the website.