The Sanitation Division is responsible for household garbage and bulk debris from 17,000 homes per week. The City is divided into five collection zones. Each zone represents a day of the week and is divided into six routes. 13,000 tons of refuse is collected and disposed of annually.
- Residential refuse is collected once a week.
- Residents should place refuse container(s) at curbside before 7 a.m. on the day of collection. Containers may be placed at the curb the night before collection day.
- Containers should be clean and in sanitary condition, free from odors and insects.
After January 1, 2014, all residential refuse customers are required to use an approved container for household trash collection. (more details (PDF)) Cart prices are subject to change.
General Container Guidelines (PDF)
Disposal of Household Sharps
- Store household sharps in a closed container with the cap screwed on
- Label container "Do Not Recycle" (Example container)
- Place container in trash can for regular collection
- Never place loose needles and syringes in trash or recycling
- For more information, go to: DEQ Management of Household Sharps
Please call the Public Works Department at 434-799-5245 for additional information or to report missed refuse collection.
Refuse Set Out Service
A refuse container set out service is available for residents who are physically challenged and unable to take their garbage to curbside for collection. The following requirements must be met:
- A doctor's certification of disability.
- A signed, notarized affidavit stating that there is no other available assistance to place refuse at curbside.
- Cost is $260 annually for January - December service. (This is in addition to the $16.50 monthly refuse fee).
The initial application will be pro-rated to the end of December at a cost of $5 per week. (If paying with cash, please bring exact change).
Submit your application forms (PDF) and payment to:
Public Works Department
998 South Boston Road
Danville, VA 24540
Zone Maps for Refuse Collection are