STORY POSTED AT 12:30 P.M. FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 14: Danville Public Works crews continue to clear residential streets, with 50 to 60 percent of the streets having been plowed.
Public Works Director Rick Drazenovich estimates that crews will finish plowing all residential streets by 7 p.m.
“We ask residents to remain patient,” Drazenovich said. “It takes us 24 to 36 hours to pass through all residential streets with the plows. We didn’t finish the primary roads and collector streets until noon Thursday.”
Drazenovich continued, saying, “We have been working around the clock since this snow arrived, with full crews operating on 12-hour shifts. We don’t stop until we have plowed all roads.”
Public Works recognizes that berms or ridges of snow left by plows are inconvenient for residents because they may block driveways, mailboxes and vehicles. Effective snow removal and plowing of snow on city streets is a cooperative effort of both the city street crews and local residents. The city depends on individuals to remove the plowed berms in front of driveways, mailboxes and vehicles.
Danville Police advise motorists to use caution. Primary roads have several slick spots (black ice). Many secondary and residential roads are impassable because of snow banks and frozen slush. Police responded to four weather-related vehicle accidents and 20 calls of disabled or stranded vehicles in the last 24-hour period ending at 6 a.m.
Danville Utilities reports only minor power outages overnight. There are currently no weather-related outages.
Danville Emergency Management has received no requests for emergency sheltering.
Here is the current status of city services and facilities:
• Refuse collection is on regular schedule.
• Danville Regional Airport is open.
• Danville Transit is operating on snow routes today. It hopes to resume regular routes late this afternoon.
• Parks and Recreation facilities are open; however, the After School program at Coates Recreation Center is closed.
• Optimist Youth Basketball will resume on Saturday with makeup games from Wednesday and Thursday. The schedule can be accessed by clicking the “Sports Scores” link on the left hand side of the PlayDanvilleVA homepage.
• Parks and Recreation crews are currently working to clear the Riverwalk Trail.
• Both branches of the Library have resumed their regular schedule.
• Municipal offices and facilities and the courthouse are open today.