The Danville City Jail and the Adult Detention Center are using new and more efficient methods for authorized family members and friends of an inmate to deposit money into the inmate’s commissary account.
Deposits can now be made through any of the following options:
• Kiosk located in the Danville City Jail Lobby, 401 Patton St. The kiosk works like an ATM and accepts cash, credit and debit cards.
• Online: www.touchpaydirect.com.
• Toll free phone: 1-866-232-1899.
Inmates use the money to order snacks, drinks, extra hygiene supplies and some clothing.
Prior to these options becoming available, both the Jail and the Adult Detention Center accepted cash and money orders through the mail. The Jail has discontinued that practice. The Adult Detention Center will stop accepting mail deposits on Nov. 1.
However, the Adult Detention Center will continue to accept deposits for inmates during visitations by authorized family members and friends. The Jail does not allow deposits during visitations with inmates.
The new system has multiple benefits:
• Provides family and friends with 24/7 ability to make deposits, and lessens the time delay and risk with sending deposits through the mail.
• Allows for deposits by credit card and debit card, in addition to cash.
• Makes deposits available to inmates within 24 hours.
• Frees up the Jail and Adult Detention Center staff for other duties, as the new system posts the deposits into the inmates’ accounts in the record management software.
• These new services are being provided at no cost to the City. Aramark, the food services provider for both facilities, installed the system at its expense and receives a small percentage of each transaction.
Danville Sheriff Mike Mondul said the inmates and their families have responded well to the changes. “It is a better way for us to do business,” Mondul said
Additional instructions can be found at www.touchpaydirect.com, the Danville City Jail lobby, and at www.danvilleva.gov.