City Council voted last night to accept a state grant that will help pay for a summer event at Danville Regional Airport that will offer free airplane flights for children ages 8-17.
The Virginia Department of Aviation is providing the $7,500 grant to promote aviation awareness through an airport open house and Young Eagles rally.
Young Eagle rallies are held nationwide by local aircraft chapters that offer children ages to 8 to 17 the opportunity to enjoy a free plane ride. Danville Regional Airport has hosted Young Eagles rallies in the past. During the last event in Danville, approximately 200 children received free rides.
A chapter of the Experimental Aircraft Association in Apex, N.C., is coordinating the event. It is anticipated that 10 or more pilots including local pilots would be involved with offering free flights for children. Parents would be able to register online in advance of the event to schedule a plane ride.
Also as part of the open house, tours and educational activities would be provided by airport staff, the Civil Air Patrol, Averett University Flight Center, and General Aviation Inc.
The event is scheduled for Saturday, June 22, with a rain date planned for the following Saturday on June 29.
As part of the grant agreement, City Council approved a local share of $7,500 in matching funds for the event. The money will pay for aviation fuel, advertising, and refreshments,
In addition to the proclamation, City Council voted last night to:
- Appoint Jason Payne to the Airport Commission.
- Appoint Harold Garrison to the Building Code Board of Appeals.
- Appoint Vanessa Cain to the Danville Redevelopment and Housing Authority.
- Appoint Matthew Bailey to the Danville Pittsylvania Community Services Board.
- Appoint Tia Hairston to the Danville Community Policy & Management Team.
- Vacate a right of way on Patton Street to eliminate the building encroachment of 205 Jefferson Ave.
- Approve updates to the emergency operations plan for the City of Danville.
- Direct the city manager to negotiate the establishment of a regional industrial facility authority (RIFA) at Virginia International Raceway. The RIFA would facilitate continued operation and further development.
Also in the business session, Finance Director Michael Adkins presented the latest financial statements, and the Virginia Law Enforcement Professional Standards Commission presented a reaccreditation certificate to the Danville Sheriff’s Office.