Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
The Danville Fire Department announces a new “Keep the Wreath Red” campaign. This campaign is geared towards fire safety during the holidays. The wreath will be decorated in all red lights and hung at Fire Station 1, located at 600 Lynn Street. Should there be a structure fire during the holiday season one red bulb will be replaced with one white light. The wreath will serve as a visual reminder to practice fire safety during the Holidays. The Danville Fire Department is striving to keep the wreath all red this season trough the help of the citizens of Danville.
Help us keep the wreath red by making sure your house is safe from fire this holiday season. Winter holidays are a time for families and friends to get together. However, that also means a greater risk for fire. Following a few simple tips will ensure a happy and fire-safe holiday season.
• Be careful with holiday decorations. Choose decorations that are flame resistant or flame retardant.
• Keep lit candles away from decorations and other things that can burn.
• Some lights are only for indoor or outdoor use, but not both.
• Replace any string of lights with worn or broken cords or loose bulb connections. Read manufacturer’s instructions for number of light strands to connect.
• Use clips, not nails, to hang lights so the cords are not damaged.
• Keep decorations away from windows and doors.
• Test your smoke alarms and tell guests about your home fire escape plan.
• Keep children and pets away from lit candles.
• Keep matches and lighters up high in a locked cabinet.
• Stay in the kitchen when cooking on the stove-top.
• Ask smokers to smoke outside. Remind smokers to keep their smoking materials with them so young children do not touch them.
• Provide large, deep ashtrays for smokers. Wet cigarette butts with water before discarding.
Before Going to Bed