The City Council voted Tuesday night to accept a state grant of $200,000 for the purchase of 53.45 acres of property to expand Anglers Park.
In addition to the acquisition, the grant from the Virginia Outdoors Foundation calls for a trail head to connect to the Riverwalk Trail. The trail head will include a picnic shelter and parking lot. The grant includes a plant identification program and requires the City to agree to an easement on the property that will protect the forest from deforestation.
The City applied for the funds in November. It requires no local match.
In other matters last night, the City Council voted to:
- Approve a budget amendment to provide for additional state funding to support airport engineering services to construct an aircraft parking ramp for future corporate hangar development and an automobile parking lot. State matching funds will finance 80 percent of the design services.
- Appropriate funds from the Virginia Economic Development Partnership and the Virginia Tobacco Region Revitalization Commission for economic development agreements with Kyocera SGS Tech Hub and Making Everything Possible.
- Approve a resolution authorizing and approving the Virginia Abatement Fund and Settlement Allocation Memorandum of Understanding. The City of Danville and the Commonwealth of Virginia, through the Office of the Attorney General, are separately engaged in litigation seeking to recover costs incurred and to be incurred in abating the opioid addiction epidemic. The memorandum relates to the allocation and use of any litigation recoveries.
- Approve a resolution authorizing the City to adopt a citizen participation plan as required by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- Appoint Clarke Whitfield Jr. and Amanda Allen as deputy city clerks for the City Council.
- Reappoint Janet Gwynn to the Community Improvement Council.
- Appoint Kasey Cunningham to the Community Improvement Council.
- Appoint Sonja Ingram to the Commission of Architectural Review.
- Appoint Kathryn Walters to the Commission of Architectural Review.
- Appoint Carolyn Evans to the Danville Pittsylvania Community Services Board.